Big Idea: Countries experience similar and different patterns of growth in modernization.
* Is modernization a cultural, subjective and century-centric concept? Explain. What makes our own culture and countries ‘modern’?
* What were the elements of modernization of Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries?
* Examine the economic, political and social aspects of modernization. What is “modernization”?
* Is modernization a good thing? As historians, should we judge how successful a country is, by how modern it has become?
* Would you expect Asian countries to modernize like European countries?