Research #2: Inquiry for 1 October 2010
I. READINGS. Be sure you have all the pages of Roberts you need!
- Challenges to traditional society (Reading: Fairbanks. The Cambridge History of China. Vol. 10 p 2-34)
- Beginning of decline of the Qing Dynasty. In Qianlong reign? (Reading: Roberts. A History of China. p.150-159)
- 100 Days of Reform – Was there ever a chance of success? (Reading: Roberts. A History of China. p.195-200)
- Self Strengthening Movement (Reading: Roberts. A History of China. p.182-187.
- EXTRA READING: Fairbanks. The Cambridge History of China. Vol. 10 p. 491-543; and The Cambridge History of China. Vol. 11 p. 274-339)
II. YOU MUST HAND IN WORKING OUTLINES FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS. (Use the information you gathered on outlining from the writing clinic.)
As you read your text, create working outlines for the following questions.
- Compare and contrast the 19th century view of the world as viewed by the English and the Americans with that of the Chinese elite of the Qing Dynasty?
- “The reign of Qianlong (Ch’ien-lung) marked the beginning of Qing (Ch’ing) decline.” To what extent do you agree with this judgment?
- To what extent was the self-strengthening movement of China (1861–94) a success?
- “The ‘Hundred Days Reforms’ (1898) in China had no chance of success.” How far do you agree with this statement?